Sunday, March 4, 2007

Module 1Tasks - Internet Tools

Internet Tools

Not ever using these tools before and not hearing all the words, i found it hard to understand what everything meant. After looking at a few sites, not finding much that made sense to me, i came across on that gave me a bit of a better understanding.

http://www.visualware.com/resources/tutorials/tracert.html

I still don't know what 'hops' means. Understand its a measurement of some sort. I took more time on this one to understand than the rest of them. I finally think i have a good understanding though.

Here are a few of the results i came across.

Results from: Centralops.net




So there is a total of 19 'hops' there. I understand that the last one (19) is just the confirmation of the host is replying.... Correct me if i am wrong.

Here it is telling me that it is an avg. of 246ms

Results from: Network-Tools.com



This is saying 17 hops.

And you can see the avg. time there is 248.5ms.


After seeing a few threads in our discussions board and seeing people posting that they were writing down how long it took from there own PC, i had to find out how to do that. I remember seeing one of my friends go to the command prompt to do something once, so i tried there. Jackpot!!!

So on there it gave me a clearer view of the path it takes to get from my PC to curtin. The results i got from my PC are: 19 hops and avg. time of 56ms

As everyone else has had a problem with pinging webct site you can see my results for the curtin.edu.au above for that.

The IP address i really came to get was 136.7.134.10



No comments: